Wednesday, June 13, 2007

File Backup - Find Out What, How, And When - An Expert Explains

If anything ever happens and you have to recover data, make it as painless as possible. It'll help if you not only have the means to back up your data (external hard drive, flash drive, online vaults), but also have a plan for knowing what to back up and when.

I admit that I'm somewhat anal about backing up my data. Everything on my computer represents my livelihood, and I don't want to lose 10 years worth of business if disaster strikes. Plus, I sleep better at night because I've taken the time to put my plan into action. Most people will wait until it's too late.

Try these suggestions from my plan to kick-start yours.

My Documents Folder:

My two main business folders are subcategorized into broad categories, then separated into smaller subcategories. Keeping like subjects together makes it easier to back up everything (and to find anything I need later). This is backed up on my external hard drive automatically every day, a 4GB thumb drive, and online every Sunday morning.

Outlook Files:

You can back up Outlook to include your contacts, emails, calendar, tasks. (See my post on backing up Outlook. The path to my Outlook files is at C:Documents and SettingsPeggy DuncanLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook). You'll want to back up the Outlook.pst file.) This is backed up on my external hard drive automatically every day, a 4GB thumb drive, and online every Sunday morning.

Templates:

If you create any templates (with the .dot, .xlt, .ppt extensions), they're automatically saved outside of the My Documents structure (mine are at C:Documents and SettingsPeggy DuncanApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates). I added this location to my Favorites so it would be easy to remember. To find out where your templates are stored, in Word, click the Tools menu, Options, File Locations tab. Double-click the location that reads User Templates. Templates are backed up on my external hard drive automatically every day, a, 4GB thumb drive, and online every Sunday morning if I've created new ones.

Downloaded Programs:

These are miscellaneous applications I've either purchased or downloaded for free. I don't have the CD. Instead of saving these in the Programs folder, I put them in a separate folder called My Downloaded Programs. If I have to restore my computer files, I won't have to remember which applications I downloaded. This is backed up on my external hard drive automatically every day, a 4GB thumb drive, and online every Sunday morning if I've added more.

Critical Data:

These are all the files that if you lost, it's over. For me, it's files for all the books I've written. I keep these outside of my main business file folder and off my computer because the files are so large. This is backed up on my external hard drive automatically every day, a 4GB thumb drive, and online every Sunday morning if I've updated anything.

QuickBook(and Banking Files):

Every time I open QuickBooks and update it, I back it up on my hard drive and 4GB thumb drive. I back it up online every Sunday morning, and backup to the external hard drive is automatic every day.

Favorites.

I've bookmarked some great sites and don't want to lose the easy access. I back these up on my 4GB thumb drive, and they're automatically backed up to my external hard drive every day. To find where your Favorites are stored, double-click My Computer, double-click the C: Drive, double-click Documents and Settings, double-click on your username folder. You should see your Favorites folder.

Pictures.

The pictures I use on my Website are safe on the Web server. All others are saved in the My Pictures folder which is automatically backed up on my external hard drive every day, and backed up online every Sunday if I've added more.

Special Projects.

I'm working on my family tree with the software Family Tree Maker. These files are automatically backed up to my external hard drive every day, and backed up online every Sunday morning if I've made any changes.

Simplify your life, and make data recovery one less thing you have to worry about. If you don't think you have time to deal with this now, how will you find time to recover later?

No comments: